Tuesday, November 29, 2011

What to do with 40 lbs. of Sweet Potatoes? Potato Puree!

My husband recently started working at a produce distributor. We were excited when we found out that there was a store with an employee discount! Until he found out that, yes, they have some amazing prices, but you have to buy in bulk! So, my sweet hubby brought me home 40 lbs. of sweet potatoes. We gave away a little less than  half to his brother and sister in law. Which left me with a LOT for our little two person family.
And these weren't your run of the mill sweet potatoes, either! They were enormous!

So I have been looking up different ways to use the lovely roots before they go bad....thank goodness they have a pretty good shelf life! This week, I am planning on making this simple and delicious looking recipe for Sweet Potato Waffles, and freezing those. I am also going to make my mom's A-Z Bread using sweet potatoes as my "A-Z." I'll share the recipe when I make it! We have small group this week, and I'm am supposed to make a veggie.....guess what we'll be bringing?!?

I started some prep work last night by making some puree for my waffles and bread/muffins. Here's how it goes.....
1. Boil with the skins on, until soft on the inside when you stick your fork in. Mine were huge, so it took a while to cook all the way through.


2. Let them cool off, and when you can handle them, peel off the skins.



3. Cut into chunks and toss into a food processor. (I got mine for $4 at a garage sale and I L.O.V.E it!)

4. Blend until smooth.


5. I stored this in a container and put it in the fridge to use tomorrow. You can freeze it, or immediately cook with it!

Does anybody else have a sweet potato recipe they could share? I've still got about 15 lbs. to go!



Linking up at..................

Tip Junkie handmade projectsTodays Creative BlogStrictly Homemade Tuesday

No comments:

Post a Comment