Tuesday, August 21, 2012

make it. {don't buy it}

If you get on Pinterest for any length of time, you are likely to go down the DIY road. In fact, I just announced to my husband that everything someone could ever want was on Pinterest and it is the greatest place on earth. (I might need help!)

I am attempting to see which products are worth forgoing the coupon scene, and switching to the homemade version. I am not one to make everything from scratch, if I like the store bought version better. For example, I tried several DIY ideas for wet Swiffer pads- the washcloth version, the cut up fabric, etc. At the end of the day, I just really love buying them in the box. I don't like the trouble of making my own, or the results that I get. I know some people like them, I just think it's too much work. I like the convenience of Swiffer.

However, I discovered that I do love homemade fabric softener. Some folks think it smells to much like the vinegar that's in it, but I actually like that. The vinegar has been good for my towels. I've made it before, and so this attempt was a refill for me. I don't think I'll be going back to the store bought version. I really like the more natural, mild smell of this DIY. I used this recipe from One Good Thing by Jillee.

All it took was 3 cups of vinegar (I got a huge container at Buehler's for $2.50), 3 cups of water, and 2 cups of hair conditioner (about $1.00 or less for V05).



Mix it up, and you're done. So simple.





This made 6 jars (a great use for upcycling spaghetti sauce jars!), that held 2 cups each. That lasts in our house for a month or two. If you have kids, I might double the recipe. :) 




I also tried this recipe for homemade Febreeze. I've never made this before, so I'll have to let you know how I like it. I'll admit, I am skeptical. It was very easy and very inexpensive, so I hope I'm blown away. :)

This called for 1/8 cup of fabric softener ($4.99 at Geyer's), 2 tbsp. of baking soda (.59 at Aldi), and water to fill a spray bottle (I used a 16 oz. bottle, $1.00 at ACE Hardware).  I do not recommend using the homemade softener for this, as vinegar and baking soda don't mix. :) At these amounts for the ingredients, I could probably make countless batches of this. Bringing my grand total to $6.58 for dozens of bottles of Febreeze.





Do you make or buy your household cleaning products? What do you think is more cost effective?





{Linking up at:}

Sew Chatty, Skip to My Lou, Ninth Street Notions, Mad in Crafts, A Bowl Full of Lemons, A Diamond in the Stuff, Not Just a Housewife, Sugar Bee Crafts, Time Warp Wife
Crystal & Co., Ginger Snap Crafts,Trendy Treehouse, It's Overflowing
Women Living Well, Raising Homemakers,We Are THAT Family,Fireflies and Jellybeans,
Handy Man, Crafty Woman,Someday Crafts,Southern Lovely
52 Mantels, Delightful Order , Frugally Sustainable, Live Renewed,

9 comments:

  1. What an awesome idea! I would LOVE for you to stop over if you have time and link this up in The Mommy Club which fits in with the theme, mommy solutions! My linky opens at 9pm on Tue and runs through Mon. On Tue I feature the topped clicked links, too! I'd be honored if you joined in with this post or others from your blog!

    Thank you, Crystal
    http://www.crystalandcomp.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post! I am wanting to do a Febreeze that has essential oils as my favorite scent is Spikenard. I generally make all of our own household cleaning supplies and I garden to make sure we have the best and healthiest food possible. :)

    I am stopping by from the Show Me What Ya Got hop, have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you please email mne and let me know how the Febreeze recipe turns out? I'm really anxious to know. Thanks.
    Rita at Cashel1916@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita, I was very pleased with how this Febreeze worked afterI tried it! It was a nice mild smell, unlike the perfumy smell that "real" Febreeze offers. I am hoping that the baking soda does not leave a residue with long-term use.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad that I'm following you! What a great idea and so much easier than I thought. Thanks for posting on the Not Just a Housewife link party!

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Katie! Making these things has been one of the quickest,easiest, cheapest changes I have made!

      Delete
  5. Hi there! Thank you for sharing! Yes, I have used vinegar, just straight vinegar before. I read a blog that suggested it, and I was was grossly disappointed. This mixture is probably MUCH better! I will have to try it out! Thanks a lot for sharing :)
    Crystelle
    http://www.crystelleboutique.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like it, Crystelle! Let me know what you think!

      Delete
  6. If you really want to make a nice less-expensive "febreeze"... We take about 1/3 cup downy unstoppables and dissolve it in an emptied febreeze bottle filled with warm water... Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete