Monday, January 30, 2012

DIY :: homemade English muffins ::

I was excited to make these and I am so glad that they turned out! They are even better than packaged, I think. They are thicker and more filling. Plus, I know every ingredient that went into them! (Even if there are a couple of not-so-great ones!)



Recipe:  

1 cup of milk
2 tbsp. white sugar
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1 cup of warm water
1/4 cup of melted shortening
6 cups of all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt

Yield: about 14 muffins




 1. Warm the milk in a saucepan until it bubbles. (I actually used soy milk, and it went just fine.) Remove from heat, and stir in sugar until dissolved. Let cool until lukewarm.



 2. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.




 

3. In a large bowl, combine the milk mixture, the yeast mixture, shortening, and 3 cups of flour.


4. Beat until smooth!



 5. Add the salt, and the rest of the flour, or enough to make a soft dough. (I think I ended up using a little less than 5 cups total. It definitely didn't need 6!) Knead. Place in a greased bowl; cover, and let rise. (I left it for about an hour.)



6. After it rises, punch it down.



 7. Roll out to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut rounds with a biscuit cutter, drinking glass, etc. (I used a small round Ziploc container.)


8. Sprinkle waxed paper with cornmeal and set the rounds on this to rise. Dust the tops of the muffins with cornmeal also. 



9. Cover and let rise for half an hour.









 10. Heat a greased griddle. Cook muffins on the griddle about 10 minutes on each side. Allow to cool and place in plastic bags for storage. 



11. Or, if you are the chef, and get hungry, split one open and load the hot yeasty goodness with cinnamon butter and devour. :)

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Linking up at::

Let Birds Fly
Adventures in Dinner
Kissed by a Frog
Flamingo Toes
Sisters of the Wild West
 









Sew Chatty

Raising Homemakers
It's Overflowing









52 Mantels

Ninth Street Notions
The DIY Show Off









BWS tips buttonLet

12 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks great! I had no idea they were cooked on a griddle. Do you think it would affect anything if I used butter instead of shortening? I'm excited to try these, my daughter loves English muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kimberly! I didn't know that, either, until I found this recipe! I'm not sure I would replace shortening with butter, as it is a very different consistency. It may work, but you also may have a mess. I plan to try using coconut oil for my second try. It is a much healthier option, and similar to the consistency of shortening. It also melts down the same way. Glad you stopped by, and I hope to "see" you again! :)

    -Tiffany from The Modern Girl's Guide

    ReplyDelete
  3. This project is awesome! I LOVE english muffins and am definitely going to have to try this. It would be super cool if would come by today to enter my giveaway for a $50 Lowe's gift card and to link up to my very first party! http://thespacebetweenblog.wordpress.com/2012/01/31/imagine-the-impossibilities-link-party-1/
    Karah @ thespacebetweenblog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Karah! I definitely will!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was such a good tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at our party! We hope to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had breakfast somewhere in northern Michigan and they served English Muffin Bread. It was delicious! So now I'm thinking on trying this as a bread...I never had the recipe before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW. These look great. I've been wanting to try making English Muffins...bookmarked this page and I will be doing this soon! Found you via Raising Homemakers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These do look lovely...I may well be trying these myself - if I can find the ingredients in France. I'm not really sure what "shortening" is, but I guess Google can help me there!!! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I'm SO impressed!! Go you :).

    I'm your newest follower! I love the name of your blog! Thanks so much for linking up to my party!! I hope you stick around and link up next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for adding this to the party!! Karah

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look great!! Thanks for linking up! Just checking, did you see my Lisa Leonard giveaway yet?


    XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love English muffins, and I haven't made any in a long time. I need to get on making some more. Because then, you know, I can live it up on Eggs Benedict. Thanks for linking up to I Made It! Monday. Can't wait to see what you've got this week.

    ReplyDelete