Friday, January 20, 2012

{friday's featured female} :: The Proverbs 31 Woman, vs. 20

Proverbs 31: 20 -"She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy."


I love this verse. I love that the Proverbs 31 woman makes the time to help others. I don’t ever want to be too busy for others. I struggle with that at times: working so hard on having my life just so, that I forget what it’s really about.

In her book, Beautiful in God’s Eyes, a study of the Proverbs 31 woman, Elizabeth George explains this verse so well. Although the verse seems redundant, it’s not. This author points to the different actions used here.

She stretches out (or extends) her hand- This is an action of giving: financially, from the variety of products that the Proverbs woman makes and sells, food, clothing, etc. She is reaching into her own pockets, to use the author’s wording, and extending her hand to fill a need of someone less fortunate than herself.

She reacheth forth her hands to the needy- She takes it a step further! This is the action of “getting her hands dirty.” She doesn’t give simply to be charitable or to do good deeds, but out of a genuine desire to serve and love. This action is one of doing, rather than giving. She visits the sick, she opens her home, she talks with the hurting. Here, she gives of herself, not just of her resources.

Isn’t it easy to do one and not the other? People like to do good in order to feel good. The Proverbs 31 woman does good because there is a need for good to be done. She takes the needs of others seriously. This is a woman who is a caregiver. We see this throughout her story- she minds the needs of her husband, her children, her maids, her self, her business connections, and her community. Her influence is far reaching. She gives from a genuine heart, and not from a desire to be lauded for her deeds. Her own works praise her, as the passage says, and she doesn’t need to make a show out of her charity.

Notice that she is keeping herself healthy and not stretching herself thin. Her careful planning and organization allow her to free up time to help the needy. She also starts at home and increases her circle of influence. First mentioned is her husband, then her family, then her household staff, then the poor, then herself. I don’t think this means that she always put herself last, or had unhealthy boundaries. I think it points to the simple joy that can be found in giving of yourself to others.

I am challenged by this passage to give out of love and obedience, and not for a show. To always check my heart’s motives. To make sure I’m not praising my own works- and that can come in many forms, including false modesty or humility! Do I desire to stretch out my hand and reach out my hands? Is it easier to look like I am giving more than I am?

And here’s the kicker: Do I organize my home and my life in order to look like I have it altogether, or for the purpose of freeing myself to be more available for the things God would have me do?

No comments:

Post a Comment