Friday, January 3, 2014

DIY Hand Soap {Love me some Mrs. Meyer's!}


I've been wanting to try this soap tutorial from The Farmer's Nest for a while now. I bought my bar of Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day Soap several months ago when I spotted it at the natural market. I had tried to do this with some plain Dove soap before and I didn't have a lot of luck, so I was nervous about wasting my $5 soap this time. But I was pleasantly surprised! I love the smell of Mrs. Meyers, so I'm pretty stoked about having it in such a large quantity. It was nice and easy to make, too.

Ingredients:

1 8 oz. bar of Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day soap
1 gallon of distilled water
2 tbs. glycerin

All you do is grate up the soap, and melt in a pot with the distilled water, along with the glycerin. Stir until all of the soap is dissolved. Then, just set aside the pot for about 12 hours to let it set. Mine actually only took about 5 hours to be ready, lucky me! It has a nice thick gel consistency when it is ready. If it is too hard after it sets (mine was around the edges), you can add a little water and use beaters to "fluff" it to the consistency that you like for your soap pumps. I just scooped mine into my Ninja, since I don't have a hand mixer. Then I poured into mason jars and I was done! I have a feeling I might need to do the "add water and blend" step again when I am ready to put it in soap pumps. We'll see. The smell is really wonderful! I was wondering if doing this would "water down" the scent, but it is still nice and strong!

My next goal is to duplicate Mrs. Meyer's powder scrub. I love it, but it is sold in a pretty small container and is about $5. I really wanted it so that I didn't have to use the cheap but way full of chemicals Ajax. Plus, I really didn't want to mess with the bleach. It took about half a container of the Mrs. Meyer's to get my shower floor sparkling (it was pretty grimy, I'm ashamed to say), so I definitely need a cheap, yet safe alternative!


I'm linking up at:
Skip to My Lou, The Girl Creative , Mad in Crafts, That DIY Party, I Should Be Mopping the Floor, Redhead Can Decorate, Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom, twelveOeight, Under the Table and Dreaming, Creating My Way to Success, Craft-O-Maniac, Sew Can DoLines Across, C.R.A.F.T., Uncommon Designs, That's What Che Said, Creatively Living, Blue Roof Cabin

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great idea. We love Mrs. Meyer's soap! Pinned this to make later. :)

    ReplyDelete